Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Geeking

Last weekend's yard work list worked really well as self-motivation, so I have started a new list of geek tasks I've been neglecting. I have a whole bunch of stuff that I need/want to do. I have a study guide for Netware that includes a limited test copy of Netware 6 and I have an old server to put it on. I need to do the installation, set it up, manage the tree a bit and finish the study guide then take the test to get a new CNA cert. I've been putting it off for nigh on two years now....

I also have Mom's old PC, an Athlon 900 MHz with a gig of RAM and a nice graphics card I added to it. I want to set it up with an old joystick and a KVM switch to use my big-screen TV monitor and play some old flight games. If it feels right, I might buy a good USB joystick to hook up to my game machine and buy some better games. It has an extra 80 gig hard drive I could use for more storage, too.

The other major geek project is testing Linux desktop distributions on a surplus laptop that belongs to the school district. I put it together out of two dead ones.... So far, I've installed and successfully configured Freespire and Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems to be a bit more comfortable. At the ACPE convention, Edubuntu was highly recommended, so I have downloaded the ISO and burned a disk to install. I'm really very curious as to what the bundled "educational" software is. I can't really find a list. I also need to get the Netware server up and running and see how it (Edubuntu) works with E-directory.... Since the district uses a mixed environment, we don't get Microsoft bribes/subsidies/donations, so free is a nice price for an OS and office suite. I also picked up copies of SUSE desktop and SLES at ACPE, so I have more stuff to fiddle with.

Wonder when I'll find time to paint more miniatures? Me, too. And there's even more yard work to do.


Life is full....

Kim

No comments: